2020 Earth Day: The 5 R's

Yesterday I spoke about Earth Day and how we are celebrating it in the best way this year. Since the 70's, many of us have heard or do: Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle. I don't know about you, but either we aren't doing it enough or 3 R's is not enough. This year and last year has been some of the strangest weather ever, even for climate strange California. I spent most of my time in my life in California and remember stark changes in climate, like that one time I went to be in snow for the winter. Let's talk about all of the R's, and maybe even add a few in there!

1) Reduce
- Buy used
- Look for less packaging/Bring your own containers
- Maintain and Repair products

Do you know there are some stores that don't offer bags for your groceries or min bags for your produce, but you bring your own bags and mason jars and buy in bulk? It's pretty cool. I saw it on a video, that I can't find now, but the gal in the video created little to no trash for a month using this technique.

2) Reuse

This is pretty self explanatory, but some of the stuff out to do this is pretty cool. There are three things that I am going to compare buying a reusable version versus paying for a disposable version.

- Q Tips...Reusable: $10-$15 (one time costs) vs Disposable: $10-$15 per box (Repeating cost)
- Pads...Period Proof Underwear $25-$40 vs Disposable $10-$20 per box (Varying Quantity)
- Razor...Flawless Hair Remover $40 vs Disposable $2-$5 each plus blade refills

Although there is a larger one time price tag, the savings over time is just one of the benefits of paying up for reusable. For example Pads, the average woman spends almost $5,000 on pads alone during her lifetime. Costs like these can't be avoided if you are woman, but can be made better by reusable.

3) Recycle
- Donate Unwanted Things
- Sort trash and Recycling at home

I remember back in the day, I would help my friend with Recycling because it used to be worth doing on your own. I recently tried to do it on my own again, and not just separate it at home and I spent way too much time to get a voucher for a couple of dollars...my car was full of glass bottles and what not. I think this is a great time to ask more people to create recyclable containers, you would really be surprised how many things we buy that can't really be recycled.

4) Renew
- Compost
- Plant a Garden

Not only is a good idea to plant a garden to have fresh herbs to use when cooking, but if you compost (use food scraps in your garden to help your plants grow instead of throwing it away) then you can have a healthy garden without having to get fancy dirt.

5) Rethink
- Biodegradable Products
- Natural Cleaning Products
- Energy Efficient Appliances

A couple of food places have started to introduce plates and straws that will degrade easier so they are not a long term addition to our landfills, and if you ask any mom with her mom secrets-she has a natural way to clean something that Clorox tries to sell you a wipe for. Going natural when we can and saving energy with new technology will go so far, on top of saving money!

Previous generations started a sense of materialism and valuing objects - not only the objects themselves but the work in which you did to obtain it and the pride of ownership. There is no such thing as a perfect generation, but I love how my generation is increasing the price of these items for the cause of not only charity but Mother Earth. It is not often I get behind what my generation does, being an old soul, but in this respect I love being a Millennial.

P:(657) 246-2298-Email Me - Moxi Zombi Marketing - Blog-Twitter - Instagram - Facebook - Flickr - LinkedIn

Comments

Popular Posts