Riots Timeless Indicators of Change

We are in the middle of June, but it is only in the last couple of days that the activity of May has started to slow down. Anyone paying attention to the news knows what I am speaking to, the riots and protests sparked by George Floyd. In the last week of May, George Floyd was killed by Cops and mixed with the rising tension of COVID-19, the spark finally lit a fire. But this is not the first time it has happened though. Anyone listen to Sublime? Look up the song: April 26,1992.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qi8KJ0boov8

I was technically around at this time (If you read my blog from yesterday you know I was born in June 1992) and my mom liked to remind me whenever we listened to this song as children, that Me and Her survived the riots. The trigger for those riots were very similar to the trigger for this set of riots. What was different though, was that was only in LA and a couple of other cities- compared to the 2020 protests that happened everywhere. No city or State was immune.

A lot of companies put out a social media post or "went black" to honor the #BlackLivesMatter movement and I can say I did not put out anything. This is the first time I have spoken about this matter as a company. It is important to participate in the conversation, and yet its a personal thing to go through as much a business.

Like, I was safe at my home and saw protests turn to riots and it go into every city. I myself am in Brea, but grew up in Huntington Beach and still have my Father and Sister and Nephew there, and saw friends from high school post about the first of the protests. Looking at the protests, I could not tell what they were protesting. People were doing it just to do something. But then it started to get bad and I worried about my people. That was in Orange County, what about LA County? LA County had a curfew and I checked on my other sister, grandmother, and father (yes I have two). I could account for my sister and grandmother, after she was ran out of a restaurant because looters started going for the Lakewood Mall. Before I could think of my businesses' "non political response" I was scared for my family.

Even now, as I am writing this and listening to a spiritual podcast- the woman who runs the podcast is turning a podcast about Angels into a tool of education about how #BlackLivesMatter. I don't think this is a time to take a moment of silence, I think we need to take proper action to help. Protesters get lost when rioters cause so much damage that the hurting economy can't even come back and jobs get more and more lost. I think we should take this time to take proper action to treat one another better, people are people. I think we need to take better care of not only each other, but the earth.

P:(657) 246-2298-Email Me - Moxi Zombi Marketing - Blog-Twitter - Instagram - Facebook - Flickr - LinkedIn

Comments

Popular Posts