Budget is Not A Bad Word

In 2019, one of my health providers asked me to help make a design for a shirt for their 20th Anniversary. I was so excited to help and eagerly started on my task. It was a very positive but very interesting experience and as usual, contained a lesson to learn. In my creativity, I have decided to call that lesson: Budget is not a bad word.

What is a budget? It is a set amount of money you have for a bill or event. But funny enough it is so easy to spend more than your budget, between unrealistic expectations of price or "Oh crap" situations. But budgets are great, even if your particular budget is small, most people think budgets denotes responsibility to ones pocket book and income. And anyone that runs a small business can attest to the fact that things in general are expensive, and more felt when you are in charge of your business success or failure.

So we set out to designing the shirts, coming up with a couple of variations of design-even though statiscally your first idea is usually your best. We picked one and proceeded with next round edits until the design was good to go. From there I went to my favorite vendor for this type of thing, Vistaprint. Most times in this industry, bulk is better. The more quantity you are buying, the more discounts the customer can receive. This is due to the fact that the operation (on the vendor end) has a certain price attached to producing that order and once it is set up, the more you are doing the better. But funny enough, when the final quantity was given to me and I priced it out, it was out of the client's budget. Vistaprint has good quality shirts and printing, but it is on the higher end at $10-$15 a shirt.

ImageSo, now that I had the new budget in mind-I was on a mission to find a quality budget shirt. Most vendors offer men and women's shirts, but those vendors are in the $10-$15 range. I was looking in the $5-$9 dollar range. In this range there are a lot of vendors, but more variables to consider. Not all of them can match your colors, but do what they can to get close. I also started to notice that overall price increased when attempting to do a traditional half men/half women sizes. But more inexpensive vendors offer Unisex size. At first this was not wanted by myself or the client, but it was the only way to stay close to the budget, even though at this time we were not able to stay in budget.

I ended up going with Allied Shirts for $8 a Unisex shirt and they came out great for colors and arrived when it was supposed to! Funny enough, I pushed for Vistaprint but it did not have bulk value and the budget shirts (as I called them in email conversation) held value and were the closest to budget. Don't be afraid of budget. As long as you are happy with the result, and can enjoy them for the purpose you ordered them-that is what is important.

Now, it would turn out that this was a double lesson story after all, stay tuned next week as we finish the story then!

P:(657) 246-2298-Email Me - Moxi Zombi Marketing - Blog-Twitter - Instagram - Facebook - Flickr - LinkedIn

Comments

Popular Posts