DSLR Photography Kit: Basics

Last year, I did a post on Mobile Photography Kit Basics and it was one of my better trending posts. At the time I did not have a DSLR. Well, fast forward to the present and I have since been blessed with a DSLR. After getting the new camera, I went through the process of setting up my basics again and figuring out what I needed and where to get it. I would like to walk you guys through the gear:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MFD0EKG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Now the bag can be one of most important pieces, and the most understated. Your bag needs to be safe, decently sized, hold everything, and hold everything SAFELY. I really like how much my bag holds, it looks basic-even though it has thousands of dollars of supplies inside, and it takes a lot for someone to get into it (that is not supposed to be in it) or harder for things to fall out and possibly break. 
Cannon EOS Rebel T6 and Lenses with UV Filters
My camera was a gift, I do not know the prices but you can look it up. It came with the 18-35 mm Lens, the other lenses (10-18 mm and 50 mm) were purchased after. The 10-18 mm is suggested for use when traveling, but I find it good for smaller spaces as well. The 50 mm is for head shots, or I would suggest also using it for product shots. All of my lenses have a UV filter on them, and while I read they could be good for photo quality and tried them for that reason, I can tell you a bigger reason to get them. They are your first line of defense. My husband accidentally moved my bag when it was open and my lens fell, I heard something break and thought it was my lens-I checked it out and it was only the UV filter. I only had to replace a $5 UV Filter versus a $75 lens.  
Attachable Flash

Lens Hood 
These are lens hood, a Flower Lens Hood and Extendable Rubber Lens Hood, for each of my lenses. Why the hood? They are $5-$10 each, Altura is a great company to get supplies for if you are not going to get them from the camera provider, and it is a simple way to control the amount of natural light you have in your shot. Besides having a good camera, harnessing your natural OR creating un-natural light is the second most important thing, everything else you can do on your computer. For storage, they stack well together and sit clipped on the side of my bag. For un-natural light, a small attachable flash component works well-or carry able construction lights. 

Last, let's get technical. The camera comes with one battery and charger, but I would highly suggest getting a second one. The next technical part to think about would be, how are you getting the photos off of your device? The camera will come with a USB cord so you can connect it to your computer and just pull them off digitally, but what if that does not work or you do not have the cord? My USB Hub combo will read the memory card inside the camera AND the usb cord. You should always have a back up option.

Next week, we are going to have to talk about some of the legal aspects for photos. The online world of Google and everyone being a photographer (or considering yourself one if you have a smart phone) has both bettered and worsened the world of photography and marketing. Join me next week.

P:(657) 246-2298-Email Me - Moxi Zombi Marketing - Blog-Twitter - Instagram - Facebook - Flickr - LinkedIn

Comments

Popular Posts