Borderlands 3: Product Photography...DSLR vs Iphone

In one of my first jobs, where I was a receptionist at a company that produced Thin Film Devices, was one of the first times I had gotten a taste of marketing as a job and really liked it. It is actually one of the first times I played with Photography as a job too. I made my first shadow box there to do product photography! All this to say, I have always loved Product Photography in general because it seems similar to designing a business card, some say the size is the limitation but for me it is a happily accepted challenge.

In honor of our Borderlands month, I decided to play with Product Photography and how one would do it in a more modern day. Our subject is Cosplaying Rubber Duck, Moxxi. Moxxi was introduced last blog, and if you want more information on her or the Cosplaying Rubber Duck, please go back and read the previous blogs.
No photo description available.
I am using a shadow box, they are now much better and more inexpensive, and comparing how the end shot comes out and is created when you use a DSLR versus an iPhone. When doing Product Photography, you need to use a shadow box to control the light in the photo. Once your shadow box and light are set up, you set up your background. I use a piece of fabric that came in the box, but using something without a texture on it is better for the purpose of removing the background. You set up your product in the center and take your shot.

When I used the DSLR, I equipped it with my smallest lens, one perfect for headshots and I kind of liked it for the fact that it created an effect of focus and blur. The background can be seen but is not in focus so you find yourself not looking at it as much. When I used the iPhone, there was surprisingly much more focus in general and a similar level of color capture. Due to more focus, I found I could see more details and for product photography this is more ideal. The only downside to this, if you chose to attempt to remove the background, it would be harder to do due to texture.

I thought this was an interesting experiment and I look forward to bringing you more, but Product Photography is something I am happy to offer you if you need it! Join me next week as we turn this static image into a 360 image!

P:(657) 246-2298-Email Me - Moxi Zombi Marketing - Blog-Twitter - Instagram - Facebook - Flickr - LinkedIn

Comments

  1. Buying a digital camera is a very different experience than it was a few years ago. Smartphone cameras keep getting better, so there are a lot fewer buyers out there for budget pocket shooters. https://fotoprofy.de/teleobjektiv-test

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts